Color Your World Red Orange (Cuckoo-Pint)
Danger Haiku (Poison)
Leave alone or pay the price
Consider this my public service announcement. Cuckoo-pint berries are poisonous if ingested. In fact, the whole plant is poisonous to eat. I had no idea what this plant in my yard was until I looked it up tonight.
I saw this plant in my yard a while back and took a picture because I thought it’s red-orange berries were pretty. I think it has been popping up for years but I never really investigated it. Not being a survivalist, I had no inclination to sample the berries. Good thing, because I learned tonight that the plant (also known as lords and ladies among other names) is a garden plant that is not to be ingested!
Apparently, the berries have an acrid taste and cause an immediate tingling sensation that would cause most people to stop eating it and avoid serious harm. Still, like many other garden plants, it could be very dangerous if eaten. So, DON’T!
I am posting this in response to JNW’s Color Your World Red Orange photo challenge.
Posted on January 4, 2017, in Observations, Photography and tagged Color Your World, coloryourworld, cuckoo-pint, CYW, haiku, Photo challenge, photography, poison berries, red orange. Bookmark the permalink. 10 Comments.